we are for eachother: then laugh, leaning back in my arms for life's not a paragraph. --ee cummings

i stood humbled

Sooooo...I keep talking about this project in my bw photo class that is due in TWO SHORT WEEKS! I have really been juggling thoughts and ideas in my head as to what my 5-7 "thematically" related ideas would be. I have SO many ideas that I think it just made it hard to choose just one. There is still SO much I want to do in this class, but unfortunately I'm running out of time. :)

I brainstormed last night during class - we were just watching a bio on Anton Corbijn {he is a famous photographer who photos and helps film music videos by Metallica, The Killers, Depeche Mode and U2...to name a few - QUITE interesting guy, I LOVED it. I love bios.}. Anyway...brainstorming {sorry I get off track easily}...I knew right away because my mind kept going to one certain theme no matter what I wrote on paper. Nature.

Please do not get me wrong. I ADORE taking photos of people. But...people are exceptionally hard to photograph. Not that I want the easy route. But I need to get this project done and I know myself in the darkroom. I know that I, as a person, am WAY TOO much of a PERFECTIONIST to begin photographing people and get this thing done in two weeks. ;)

Back to nature. What would I photograph? I wanted something more...shall we say intimate...by intimate I mean something I could get up close and personal with because I feel that is the type of photographer I am. I also wanted to show some artistic flair and I really just wanted a far out idea {that never really came to me}. Except...maybe it did.

I decided to get creative. I like to use that side of my brain A-LOT. ;) I love words being photographed, I don't know why. I think it can get across good points and meaning. So I came up with photographing NATURE made into words. :) Very clever eh? Yes, I gathered some small shiny black stones from the house {I cheated, they are designer stones, ah well} and on my sidewalk formed the word "LOVE". I then went into my wonderfully plant/flower filled backyard and pulled off some little yellow daisies {sad, I know...but they were dying anyway} and in the green grass {won't be green in bw, hee hee} I formed the word "hope".

"Hope" was the word that got me. I thought of someone special in my life, who is inadvertedly like a mom to me...my friend Mindy's mom {whom I call Mrs. J!}. Last year Haylee was growing a daisy in one of those little pots with the seeds that you get from Target. Mrs. J had mentioned how she loved daisies {I hope that is the flower...yikes sometimes my mind slips!}. Anyway I remember looking for a DAISY forever and never did find one to mail her. Then I thought about Mrs. J and how she OVERCAME cancer and the fight she went through {with God by her side of course!}. I thought of the word "hope" and what it meant for her and I seriously teared up in my front yard....flowers in my grass spelling out "hope" with a big honkin' camera around my neck...I know I looked like a great {{hello crazy}} sight to all of my neighbors! :P But I stood humbled. Wow. I could've picked anything for my project but I know God geared me toward nature...toward hope and love and whatever other word He throws at me to photograph. I just knew in that moment...I felt at peace with what I was doing in life. I felt so happy and content and just humbled that God showed me these things. :)

I know I'm getting deep here and lengthy at that {when am I not?}. But I think it's pretty outrageous how things word with the big guy upstairs because it just makes me believe THAT MUCH MORE than there is something out there other than this life. I am happy here, but I can just imagine what my eternity will be like. Hard to fathom. :)

Thanks for listening to me get deep. Love you all for reading! I cannot WAIT to post my final project pictures now....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Melissa! Please make me a copy of that picture! I want to frame it! You will never know how much to me that word really means. We can never give up on HOPE! The Lord says...without HOPE the people will perish! God is so good to give us those ideas and I thank Him for giving you that one today! I can't wait to see the picture.
I have 8 containers of daisy seeds in my windowsill right now! They are coming up so nicely and I get so excited to see how much they grow each day. I just bought 8 of those little pots and a little envelope of seeds. I will take a picture when they grow into daisies. This is my FIRST TIME planting anything indoors and replanting them outside once they get big enough to. Isn't it funny how the littlest of things can excite us! HA! Love ya!
Mrs. J

Anonymous said...

Oh Melissa! Please make me a copy of that picture! I want to frame it! You will never know how much to me that word really means. We can never give up on HOPE! The Lord says...without HOPE the people will perish! God is so good to give us those ideas and I thank Him for giving you that one today! I can't wait to see the picture.
I have 8 containers of daisy seeds in my windowsill right now! They are coming up so nicely and I get so excited to see how much they grow each day. I just bought 8 of those little pots and a little envelope of seeds. I will take a picture when they grow into daisies. This is my FIRST TIME planting anything indoors and replanting them outside once they get big enough to. Isn't it funny how the littlest of things can excite us! HA! Love ya!
Mrs. J

Monique said...

What a wonderful idea! Hope and faith are two huge words for me. I honestly believe faith and hope are what allowed us to get pregnant finally and soon have our son. God works in great ways. I look forward to seeing your final project! Good luck with it!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers